French could teach us a lesson about cycling in cities
Say what you like about the French, but when they decide to go for something as a community they really do go for it. Take cycling for example. When I left Paris in 2004, after six years of living and working there, cycle lanes were unheard of. Even last
Say what you like about the French, but when they decide to go for something as a community they really do go for it.
Take cycling for example. When I left Paris in 2004, after six years of living and working there, cycle lanes were unheard of. Even last year there were none to speak of.
Yet almost overnight they have sprouted up everywhere in the French capital. Every road seems to have a properly separated two-way cycle lane. Contrast that with London where cycle lanes are usually part of the main traffic flow and often disappear altogether for no reason.
London's cyclists struggle to negotiate parked cars, buses and speed bumps, and they can be fined hundreds of pounds for cycling in parks. We want to encourage people to cycle more because of the environmental and health benefits, but we make it difficult and dangerous for them to do so.
You may also want to watch:
In my ward - Belsize - lots of parents tell me they would let their children cycle to school if only it wasn't so dangerous.
That's why I'll be pushing for a big increase in proper cycle lanes throughout Camden over the next four years.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
Cllr Alexis Rowell
Chair, Camden Sustainability Task Force