Freer romps to victory in Finchley and Golders Green
The new Tory MP for Finchley and Golders Green, Mike Freer, romped to victory with a majority of 5,809 votes thanks to a 6.2 per cent swing to the Conservatives. He won with 21,688 votes. Labour s Alison Moore received 15,871 votes, the Liberal Democrat
The new Tory MP for Finchley and Golders Green, Mike Freer, romped to victory with a majority of 5,809 votes thanks to a 6.2 per cent swing to the Conservatives.
He won with 21,688 votes. Labour's Alison Moore received 15,871 votes, the Liberal Democrat's Laura Edge had 8,036 votes, Susan Cummins for the UK Independence Party won 817 votes and Green candidate Donald Lyven received 737 votes.
Mr Freer said: "The majority is very pleasing. We worked very hard for it. It was down to hard work, fighting street by street, leaflet by leaflet. Nothing was taken for granted. We worked hard right till the very last moment."
Mr Freer's victory represents a significant win for the Conservatives, regaining the seat previously held by Margaret Thatcher which had been in Labour hands since 1997.
You may also want to watch:
Calm in victory, the new MP said: "It is important to win any seat back. Obviously Mrs Thatcher has been keeping a benign eye on the campaign. She wrote to me saying she would be looking out for the result. However, it is not for me to say this is any more important than any other seat we have won.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago