Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Gabriella turns 6 while her mum remains in limbo and Iran’s ‘games’ continue
- Credit: Archant
As Gabriella Ratcliffe turned six on Thursday, her mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe remained in limbo in Iran.
Last Saturday Nazanin yet again was made for wait for news on her application for clemency, and she is still confined to her parents’ Tehran home with an ankle tag.
Gabriella, who was stranded in Iran aged not yet two when Nazanin was arrested in 2016, was brought back to England to be with her father Richard last autumn.
She has not celebrated a birthday with both parents present since Iran detained Nazanin on trumped up spying charges.
Local MP Tulip Siddiq (Lab, Hampstead and Kilburn) said on Twitter: “Yet another birthday Gabriella spends without her mother – it’s hard to believe she is 6 years old today. When Richard Ratcliffe and I started the fight to get her mum home she was just a toddler. For her sake, we must keep battling to #FreeNazanin.”
You may also want to watch:
And former foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt added that “each extra birthday Nazanin and Gabriella spend apart is quietly devastating to a family that just wants to be normal”.
On June 6, Richard Ratcliffe reported: “Again no news on Nazanin’s clemency decision. Again she was asked by the Prosecutors Office to call back for a decision next week.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 4 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 7 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
He then suggested the “games of governments” and “manipulations” could not continue “without broken toys”. Nazanin is now again set to call for a further update on Saturday.