Free Nazanin hunger strike over: Nazanin and Richard call time on fortnight-long fast
- Credit: PA
On the fifteenth morning of their hunger strike, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe broke her fast and she will soon be followed by husband Richard.
Richard, his family, friends and supporters were in the process of dismantling his camp outside of the Iranian Embassy this morning.
The messages and cards will be saved for Nazanin.
This morning, Richard said: "She [Nazanin] wanted to make a clear statement that enough was enough, but it was important she didn't take it too far for her health and for Gabriella
"When you go on hunger strike you play with fire.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a bit early to know what we have achieved, obviously the demand was that she be released.
"I don't think we were expecting that she would be released, what we were expecting was the Iranian authorities would realise it's unacceptable to keep holding her and we need to find a way to solve this."
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book
Richard will himself eat once he has been checked over by medics at A&E.
The fortnight of the hunger strike has seen an incredible outpouring of support, with the Ratcliffe family frequently thanking supporters for visiting Richard in Knightsbridge, and senior politicians including Jeremy Corbyn, Penny Mordaunt and Emily Thornberry showing support at the camp.
It is nearing 1,200 days since Nazanin, who lives with Richard in West Hampstead, was arrested while on holiday in Tehran.
Daughter Gabriella has been stranded, living with grandparents in Iran, since then. Richard has never been granted a visa to visit.
Additional reporting by PA.