Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients
- Credit: Nick Ansell/PA
A Covid-19 vaccination centre is closed for a second weekend running because it does not have enough patients to be given the jab.
The Francis Crick Institute at King's Cross has been providing up to 300 jabs a day when it has capacity for 1,000, according to chief executive Paul Nurse.
NHS England said on Friday (February 12) it is set to reach its target of offering the vaccine to people aged 70 and over, care home residents and staff, health and care workers and clinically extremely vulnerable patients by Monday. It said people aged over 65 can now have a vaccine in England if GPs have supplies.
Writing in the Times on Thursday, Mr Nurse said the vaccine programme "could be going faster".
Are appointments being limited to ensure every part of the country progresses at the same rate, to avoid media criticism of a postcode lottery?" he wrote. “Is the adherence to moving through the priority groups so rigid that it is now slowing progress?”
You may also want to watch:
He added that “every day missed costs lives and livelihoods.”
The Crick became a centre for vaccines on January 18, with University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust leading the effort.
For information on vaccination bookings, visit http://www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination or call 119 between 7am and 11pm.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans