Four people rescued from fire in West Hampstead
Four people were rescued from a fire which ripped through flats in West Hampstead today (Wednesday, December 19).
Fire crews rescued a woman and child, and two men were led to safety by crews in breathing kits from a four-storey converted house in Maygrove Road at 8.26am.
Neighbours reported seeing the boy being given oxygen outside the house and all four were taken to hospital, the woman suffering from burns.
Anifa Kasongo, 52, who lives in Maygrove Road, said: “My husband and I were woken up at around 8am this morning by screaming.
“At first we thought it was people arguing, but when we looked out of the window we saw a woman standing outside the house desperately screaming for help.
You may also want to watch:
“Neighbours came out and helped pour water over the building. I could smell the burning from here – it was coming through the windows.
“I saw a man from the top floor flat try to jump from a window to escape, and a little boy was being given oxygen to help him breathe.”
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
The fire was brought under control by 9.25am and damaged part of the second floor flat and the communal areas of the converted house.
Its cause is under investigation.