Four engines successfully battle fire at Kentish Town spa and sauna
- Credit: Archant
21 firefighters and officers were called to a ‘huge jet of black smoke’ in Kentish Town Road
Gus Gould, who works as a business development manager in Kentish Town, was going into Nando’s when he saw the fire and smoke.
He said: “I saw just a huge jet of black smoke pouring out of the building, It went very dark.
“I went around the building to find the source of the fire.”
He ran around the building to take a photograph.
The 22-year-old described: “It was pretty hot, but I was trying to get close to get a picture.
“There were screams.
- 1 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 2 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars
- 3 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 4 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 5 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 7 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 8 'Looking for '70s or '80s clothing? Here is a north London gem'
- 9 Three dogs saved from Swiss Cottage flat fire
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after blaze destroys Abbey Road flat
“There were a few people around, most people were trying to get away.
“It was quite big, a lot of people thought it was a bonfire but as soon as we saw it near the building, we knew it wasn’t.”
More than 35 people rang the fire brigade to tell them about the fire.
A sauna at the rear of the ground floor of the spa was damaged by the blaze.
Fire crews from Kentish Town, Euston and Hornsey fire stations attended the scene on the busy street.
The Brigade was called at 1300 and the fire was under control at 1409.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.