Four engines successfully battle fire at Kentish Town spa and sauna
- Credit: Archant
21 firefighters and officers were called to a ‘huge jet of black smoke’ in Kentish Town Road
Gus Gould, who works as a business development manager in Kentish Town, was going into Nando’s when he saw the fire and smoke.
He said: “I saw just a huge jet of black smoke pouring out of the building, It went very dark.
“I went around the building to find the source of the fire.”
He ran around the building to take a photograph.
The 22-year-old described: “It was pretty hot, but I was trying to get close to get a picture.
“There were screams.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 5 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 9 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
“There were a few people around, most people were trying to get away.
“It was quite big, a lot of people thought it was a bonfire but as soon as we saw it near the building, we knew it wasn’t.”
More than 35 people rang the fire brigade to tell them about the fire.
A sauna at the rear of the ground floor of the spa was damaged by the blaze.
Fire crews from Kentish Town, Euston and Hornsey fire stations attended the scene on the busy street.
The Brigade was called at 1300 and the fire was under control at 1409.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.