Former MP for Finchley Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies following a stroke
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Former Prime Minister and MP for Finchley Baroness Margaret Thatcher has died following a stroke this morning.
Her spokesman Lord Bell said: “It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.
“A further statement will be made later.”
Baroness Thatcher was first elected as a Conservative MP for Finchley in October 1959.
The Ham&High reported at the time that she had achieved a “thumping majority” in the constituency which included parts of Hampstead Garden Suburb.
You may also want to watch:
Elected to a Parliament with a record number of women members, Mrs Thatcher told the Ham&High at the time: “It’s not a case of having particular interests because I’m a woman MP.
“I take the broad view, which is that I represent the whole constituency, both men and women.”
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots