Former MP for Finchley Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies following a stroke
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Former Prime Minister and MP for Finchley Baroness Margaret Thatcher has died following a stroke this morning.
Her spokesman Lord Bell said: “It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.
“A further statement will be made later.”
Baroness Thatcher was first elected as a Conservative MP for Finchley in October 1959.
The Ham&High reported at the time that she had achieved a “thumping majority” in the constituency which included parts of Hampstead Garden Suburb.
You may also want to watch:
Elected to a Parliament with a record number of women members, Mrs Thatcher told the Ham&High at the time: “It’s not a case of having particular interests because I’m a woman MP.
“I take the broad view, which is that I represent the whole constituency, both men and women.”
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike