Former manager of Muswell Hill club could end licence appeal
- Credit: Archant
The former licence holder of a bar where an alleged shooting took place has suggested he could walk away from an appeal.
Bryan John ran the Socialite Bar in Muswell Hill Broadway but was stripped of his licence following reports of a shooting outside the nightclub in November last year.
Speaking at the time, Mr John said the club was appealing the council’s decision – made in December – because it had “a really good reputation” and made a plea for extra policing.
An appeal hearing is due to be heard at Highbury Magistrates’ Court on July 3, but since Mr John’s licence was revoked Haringey Council have received another late licence application from a prospective tenant.
Mr John said: “I’m seeing how things go. If all goes well for the new tenant, then I wouldn’t really be interested in the appeal.
“We’re at a crossroads at the moment,” he added.
Speaking about his experience at the club, the 45-year-old said: “You could have the best customers in and one person who’s not like everyone else can come in and ruin it and that’s what happened with us.
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 3 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 4 Disabled swimmer loses court battle over Heath swimming prices
- 5 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 6 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 7 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 8 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 9 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 10 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
“There was always a lively atmosphere in the club and we managed to run it really well, but one night turned everything,” he added.
Mr John went on to claim the club had to shoulder the blame for all the anti-social behaviour in the area.
“Everything got piled onto us. It’s hard to come back from that. I hope whoever takes over doesn’t have the same problem,” he said.
Commenting on the new licence application, a Haringey Council spokeswoman said: “When the consultation closes, all valid representations will be considered and a decision will be taken by the council’s licensing committee.
“As with all applications, the committee will carefully consider whether the licence would uphold and promote the four licensing objectives: prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance, and the protection of children from harm. We expect a decision to be made by the end of June.”