Former Lib Dem candidate switches sides
A former Lib Dem parliamentary candidate has switched sides to join the Conservatives. Norsheen Bhatti, who ran for the Lib Dems in Brent East in 2001, has moved to the Tories. The area she campaigned in moves into the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency
A former Lib Dem parliamentary candidate has switched sides to join the Conservatives.
Norsheen Bhatti, who ran for the Lib Dems in Brent East in 2001, has moved to the Tories.
The area she campaigned in moves into the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency in the next general election and Ms Bhatti will be campaigning for Conservative Chris Philip instead of the Lib Dem nominee Ed Fordham.
Ms Bhatti said: One of the things which prompted me to change was the fact that David Cameron is committed to making sure that the party reflects all parts of the UK's diverse communities.
You may also want to watch:
"As a woman from an ethnic minority background, this is very important to me. The Lib Dems have simply not done enough on this issue. The Lib Dems can talk about equality but when it comes down to practice very rarely do they practice what they preach. It is vital that we have a Government which takes ethnic minority representation seriously.
"Local Conservative campaigner Chris Philp would make a strong and great local MP.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
"It is time for change in this country and I believe that Cameron's Conservatives have the answers we need.