Former Lib Dem candidate switches sides
A former Lib Dem parliamentary candidate has switched sides to join the Conservatives. Norsheen Bhatti, who ran for the Lib Dems in Brent East in 2001, has moved to the Tories. The area she campaigned in moves into the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency
A former Lib Dem parliamentary candidate has switched sides to join the Conservatives.
Norsheen Bhatti, who ran for the Lib Dems in Brent East in 2001, has moved to the Tories.
The area she campaigned in moves into the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency in the next general election and Ms Bhatti will be campaigning for Conservative Chris Philip instead of the Lib Dem nominee Ed Fordham.
Ms Bhatti said: One of the things which prompted me to change was the fact that David Cameron is committed to making sure that the party reflects all parts of the UK's diverse communities.
You may also want to watch:
"As a woman from an ethnic minority background, this is very important to me. The Lib Dems have simply not done enough on this issue. The Lib Dems can talk about equality but when it comes down to practice very rarely do they practice what they preach. It is vital that we have a Government which takes ethnic minority representation seriously.
"Local Conservative campaigner Chris Philp would make a strong and great local MP.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 4 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
"It is time for change in this country and I believe that Cameron's Conservatives have the answers we need.