Former Highgate home of Pink Floyd snapped up at auction
One lucky buyer has snapped up a piece of rock and roll history after buying the former Highgate home of Pink Floyd’s original band members.
It is believed Sham Masterman, a Singaporean developer, bought the Victorian house in Stanhope Gardens and the one next door for �1.2million each, according to the BBC.
However, Miss Masterman is not thought to be a Pink Floyd fan.
The three-storey property, where a young Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason lived, as well as the adjacent house were owned by the band’s college tutor and landlord, Mike Leonard.
By 1965 every member of the original Pink Floyd line up had moved in.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Leonard, a light technician, worked closely with Pink Floyd in the mid-1960s creating light effects which complemented their psychedelic sound.
In 1968 Pink Floyd also appeared on the BBC’s Tomorrow’s World with Leonard demonstrating light and sound experiments in Stanhope Gardens.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 9 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
The property, which needs total refurbishment, still retains several features which link back to the ‘60s including wood panelling, a sunken bath and several wall mirrors. It even has a speaker built into the eaves of the roof as well as a large xylophone and tambourine in the attic room.
Christopher Coleman Smith, Savills Auctions, said: “Someone bought a piece of rock and roll history when the hammer went down on 39 Stanhope Gardens.
“It wasn’t surprising that both properties were sold to the same buyer.
“They presented a unique opportunity to purchase family sized houses in a desirable part of Highgate and undertake a complete refurbishment.”