Former Ham&High courier celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A former Ham&High worker has celebrated his 100th birthday with a special message from the Queen.
Reg Michaels reached the impressive milestone last Thursday and received a telegram of congratulations from Her Majesty.
Mr Michaels, of Tayler Court, Dorman Way, Swiss Cottage, was a popular figure in the Ham&High’s office in the 1990s when he worked as the newspaper’s courier, collecting and delivering adverts and photographs.
The great-grandfather recalled lying about his real age and pretending he was younger when originally applying for a job at the Ham&High.
“I was there for two or three years and then my 80th birthday came up,” he said. “I had to confess to them that I’d given the wrong age when I applied for the job, I said I was younger than I was.
You may also want to watch:
“But the staff were very kind. They treated my wife and I to an evening at the Palladium and a couple of bottles of very nice wine for my 80th birthday.”
Asked how he felt about reaching a century, Mr Michael, whose wife of more than 60 years died in 2002, said: “It’s a good run. I’ve only got round to realising it.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
“It’s strange because 98 and 99 have no real significance but when the 100 comes up you really feel it and think back. It’s a long time.”