Foolish risk, or Proudest moment? Venue owner's frankest interview
CONTROVERSIAL gallery owner Alex Proud has given the Ham&High a revealing interview in which he tells how tough it has been to set up a trendy new venue in Camden s market area. As he prepares for a star-studded opening tomorrow (Thursday) he says that
CONTROVERSIAL gallery owner Alex Proud has given the Ham&High a revealing interview in which he tells how tough it has been to set up a trendy new venue in Camden's market area.
As he prepares for a star-studded opening tomorrow (Thursday) he says that making money isn't his top priority and that he is aware that many critics see his venture as a 'foolish risk'.
"It's been a really tough nine months since we closed. I haven't slept at all," he said. "This is an enormous risk. It's an incredibly foolish risk to take. I signed the lease for this place the day my son was born. I think it is madness.
"It's amazing to create something. God forbid we might make some money one day but that is pretty low down the list. My wife will be really upset to hear that!" he told the Ham&High.
You may also want to watch:
Read his full interview in this week's Ham&High but if you want to be at the big opening party, we have two pairs of tickets on offer, in association with Intel®.
All you have to do is tell us in which market area his new venue is situated (clue, it has something to do with horses) and email email@example.com with the answer, remembering to include your daytime contact details.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
Entries must be received by 1pm on Thursday, April 3, the day of the opening and winners will be notified by phone or email.