Flasher threatened to rape Highgate woman after escaping from open prison, court hears
A flasher threatened to rape a terrified woman on her own doorstep while on the run from an open prison, a court heard.
Lee Cyrus, 48, exposed himself after leaping out of the shadows in Highgate as his victim returned home late at night, jurors heard yesterday.
She screamed in terror before alerting police on December 2, who arrived minutes later, Southwark Crown Court heard.
Giving evidence, the woman said she went to check a security gate and noticed Cyrus staring intently at her and touching himself just seven feet from her front door.
“He said ‘I’m going to rape you’ and just repeated it,” she told the court. “It was very matter of fact.”
You may also want to watch:
Police arrested Cyrus minutes later in Highgate Hill and the woman later picked him out during an identification parade, jurors heard.
Cyrus, also known as Ivan Leach, sparked a nationwide manhunt after he went on the run from HMP North Sea Camp open prison in Lincolnshire on October 9 last year.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
He denies six counts of indecent exposure, wounding with intent, two counts of unlawful wounding, affray, aggravated burglary, robbery, burglary, and attempted rape.
The trial continues.