Firoz offers new hope to Alexandra Palace arts centre
A COMMUNITY arts centre in the grounds of Alexandra Palace will not be demolished by the building s new owner. Property tycoon Firoz Kassam has been granted a 125-year lease for the historic landmark and plans to develop a luxury complex. The CUFOS proje
A COMMUNITY arts centre in the grounds of Alexandra Palace will not be demolished by the building's new owner.
Property tycoon Firoz Kassam has been granted a 125-year lease for the historic landmark and plans to develop a luxury complex.
The CUFOS project in the old train station feared it could be kicked out when the lease expires in 2011 but was told this week it can reapply to have its contract renewed.
Valerie Osmotherley, CUFOS secretary, said: "I hope Mr Kassam thinks we are a valuable local community facility and will try to protect us in 2011.
You may also want to watch:
"We feel we are in a stronger position but will have to wait to see what happens.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat