Firemen bring cash and fun to Westminster children’s charity
Paddington firefighters donate �1,000 to disabled children and bring their engines along for the ride
CHILDREN at a Westminster centre for learning disabilities got the chance to be real life Firemen Sam last week when Paddington Green firefighters brought their engines on a visit to present the charity with a cheque for �1,000.
The firefighters donated the money to the Westminster Society for people with learning disabilities’ children’s centre, which caters for children aged six months to five, after taking part in a fundraising cycle ride from Paddington Green to Southend in Essex.
Firefighter Ewan McBain, who organised the ride alongside Les Sime and Mick Garrod, said: “We got a bit lost so it ended up being about 58 miles and took us about seven hours. For some of us who commute 10 or 20 miles to work each day it wasn’t a stress but for others it was a real deal. One of the guys said it was the last ride he was going on and sold his bike after.”
Nursery manager Stephanie O’Rourke says the money will help buy expensive specialist equipment for the children.
You may also want to watch:
“The children were really excited about the fire engines coming and some of them were all dressed up in fire gear,” she said.
“They love Fireman Sam. It has been a really nice lift to see the children’s smiley faces.”
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale