Search

Firefighters rescue man from Maida Vale house fire caused by discarded cigarette

PUBLISHED: 10:09 30 July 2013 | UPDATED: 11:35 30 July 2013

Firefighters helped to free the boy's right hand from the escalator

Firefighters helped to free the boy's right hand from the escalator

sub

A 57-year-old man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a carelessly discarded cigarette caused a house fire in Maida Vale on Sunday night.

Firefighters were called to a four-storey home in Clarendon Gardens at around 11.30pm and wearing breathing apparatus, they rescued the man who was then taken to hospital.

Part of the second floor of the building was damaged in the blaze and the house had a large number of boxes filled with newspapers and magazines stored there.

Guy Tillotson, the watch manager at Paddington fire station, said: “The fire is believed to have been caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette.

“You should always make sure cigarettes are completely out after use.

“People should try and avoid storing large amounts of papers and other materials, as it increases the chances of having a fire and intensifies the spread of fire if one does occur.”

The fire was under control by quarter past midnight.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the blaze.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express