Firefighters rescue man from Maida Vale house fire caused by discarded cigarette
- Credit: sub
A 57-year-old man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a carelessly discarded cigarette caused a house fire in Maida Vale on Sunday night.
Firefighters were called to a four-storey home in Clarendon Gardens at around 11.30pm and wearing breathing apparatus, they rescued the man who was then taken to hospital.
Part of the second floor of the building was damaged in the blaze and the house had a large number of boxes filled with newspapers and magazines stored there.
Guy Tillotson, the watch manager at Paddington fire station, said: “The fire is believed to have been caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette.
“You should always make sure cigarettes are completely out after use.
You may also want to watch:
“People should try and avoid storing large amounts of papers and other materials, as it increases the chances of having a fire and intensifies the spread of fire if one does occur.”
The fire was under control by quarter past midnight.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Amazon Fresh convenience store without tills opens in Chalk Farm
- 6 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 7 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 8 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 9 Parliament Hill Lido Café on 'heartwarming' business life in Hampstead Heath
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside Hornsey block
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the blaze.