Fire tragedy will haunt residents
THE RESIDENTS of the block of flats at Cunningham Place in St John s Wood will find it difficult to get into the festive spirit this year after a tragedy which has stunned the community. A fire, the cause of which is being investigated by police, claimed
THE RESIDENTS of the block of flats at Cunningham Place in St John's Wood will find it difficult to get into the festive spirit this year after a tragedy which has stunned the community.
A fire, the cause of which is being investigated by police, claimed the lives of five-year-old Farah Rashid and her 14-year-old brother, who died after jumping from the third floor in an attempt to escape the inferno.
Two other children in the family and their 44-year-old father are in hospital following this dreadful incident which is all the more tragic and poignant because it has happened in a week when children everywhere are looking forward with excitement to the festive season.
Spare a thought, too, for the fire officers who attended what proved to be one of the most serious incidents some of them will ever have to deal with. It was they who discovered the body of the little girl after the lives of two of her brothers had been saved by the bravery and expertise of the fire crews.
You may also want to watch:
We should never take the work of the emergency services for granted, especially at this time of year when they make themselves available for duty - and demanding duty it is - while the vast majority of people are thinking only of rest, relaxation and indulgence.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes