Fire Brigade issues joss stick warning following Kentish Town fire
- Credit: Archant
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) has warned of the risk posed by joss sticks after a fire broke out at a Kentish Town flat yesterday.
Firefighters rushed to a property in Bartholomew Road at about 9pm.
Fire investigators believe the blaze started accidentally and is likely to have been caused when the occupant lit two joss sticks and left the property.
The fire quickly spread to a timber chair, a plastic storage tray and a timber door frame.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We believe there was no working smoke alarm in the property. Had it not been for the quick actions of a neighbour who smelt the smoke and phoned the Brigade it could have been a lot worse.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have them linked together. This gives the earliest warning if there is a fire.
“It’s also important to remember that lit joss sticks should be placed well away from anything that could catch fire and put out if you leave a room.”
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 3 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park
Two fire engines and more than ten firefighters from the Kentish Town Brigade attended the incident.
The Brigade was called to the fire at 9.01pm and the incident was under control by 9.17pm.