Fire Brigade issues joss stick warning following Kentish Town fire
PUBLISHED: 17:50 27 August 2015 | UPDATED: 17:50 27 August 2015
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) has warned of the risk posed by joss sticks after a fire broke out at a Kentish Town flat yesterday.
Firefighters rushed to a property in Bartholomew Road at about 9pm.
Fire investigators believe the blaze started accidentally and is likely to have been caused when the occupant lit two joss sticks and left the property.
The fire quickly spread to a timber chair, a plastic storage tray and a timber door frame.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We believe there was no working smoke alarm in the property. Had it not been for the quick actions of a neighbour who smelt the smoke and phoned the Brigade it could have been a lot worse.
“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have them linked together. This gives the earliest warning if there is a fire.
“It’s also important to remember that lit joss sticks should be placed well away from anything that could catch fire and put out if you leave a room.”
Two fire engines and more than ten firefighters from the Kentish Town Brigade attended the incident.
The Brigade was called to the fire at 9.01pm and the incident was under control by 9.17pm.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.