Community rallies to give ‘overwhelming’ number of donations to Finchley Road fire victims
- Credit: Archant
The community has rallied to the aid of victims of the devastating Finchley Road fire who lost their homes and almost all their possessions in the blaze.
Organisers of a donation drive received so many items this week that they have enough left over to give to vulnerable women at the West Hampstead Women’s Centre, a community haven in Cotleigh Road.
Donations have included essentials such as toiletries as well as gifts for children who lost their toys and possessions in the blaze.
Items were laid out on a table at the O2 shopping centre on Monday for victims to collect.
Drive co-organiser Daisy Ridley, who set up a Twitter campaign to appeal for donations, said: “Everyone felt quite overwhelmed by the extent of the donations.
“It was very emotional for the victims to all come together again and see each other again and share how they are feeling.”
Meshell Boyle, who lost her home and two pet cats in the fire, praised the community for pulling together to help victims.
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 3 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 4 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 5 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 6 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 7 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 8 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 9 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 10 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
“There has been a really nice outpouring of support,” she said.
Donations continue to flood in to drop-off centres in the Finchley Road area, including the Ham&High offices.
Drop off donations at the O2 shopping centre, JW3 community centre, the Ham&High office, all in Finchley Road, or at Paramount Properties in West Hampstead.