Community rallies to give ‘overwhelming’ number of donations to Finchley Road fire victims
- Credit: Archant
The community has rallied to the aid of victims of the devastating Finchley Road fire who lost their homes and almost all their possessions in the blaze.
Organisers of a donation drive received so many items this week that they have enough left over to give to vulnerable women at the West Hampstead Women’s Centre, a community haven in Cotleigh Road.
Donations have included essentials such as toiletries as well as gifts for children who lost their toys and possessions in the blaze.
Items were laid out on a table at the O2 shopping centre on Monday for victims to collect.
Drive co-organiser Daisy Ridley, who set up a Twitter campaign to appeal for donations, said: “Everyone felt quite overwhelmed by the extent of the donations.
You may also want to watch:
“It was very emotional for the victims to all come together again and see each other again and share how they are feeling.”
Meshell Boyle, who lost her home and two pet cats in the fire, praised the community for pulling together to help victims.
- 1 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 2 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 7 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 10 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit
“There has been a really nice outpouring of support,” she said.
Donations continue to flood in to drop-off centres in the Finchley Road area, including the Ham&High offices.
Drop off donations at the O2 shopping centre, JW3 community centre, the Ham&High office, all in Finchley Road, or at Paramount Properties in West Hampstead.