Finchley and Golders Green Liberal Democrat candidate welcomes David Ward’s sacking
- Credit: Archant
The parliamentary candidate is pleased that ex-MP David Ward has been sacked as a Lib Dem election candidate after accusing “the Jews” of atrocities against the Palestinians.
Jonathan Davies, parliamentary candidate for Finchley and Golders Green, said: “David Ward’s long record of unacceptable statements made him wholly unsuitable to represent the Liberal Democrats who are committed to work for an open, tolerant and united society.
“Ward has always been a marginal figure in the Liberal Democrats – at least we’ve never elected someone with such views as Party leader.”
Mr Davies, who is vice chair of Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel, will stand against Conservative MP Mike Freer on June 8.
Labour has not yet announced their candidate.
You may also want to watch:
Finchley and Golders Green was a two-horse race between the Conservatives and Labour in 2015.
Mr Freer won the Finchley and Golders Green seat in 2015 with a 5,600 vote majority.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 6 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
- 7 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 8 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 9 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
Mr Ward had planned to stand as a Lib Dem candidate in Bradford East, but he has been sacked by party leader Tim Farron, after Prime Minister Theresa May criticised his selection during Prime Minister’s Questions.
Mr Ward accused “the Jews” of atrocities against Palestinians in 2013.
He denies being antisemitic and expressed sadness that he has been sacked.
Mr Ward also posted a tweet saying that Israel was an “apartheid state” and that the “Zionists” were losing the battle in 2013.
Mr Ward refused to apologise and had the party whip withdrawn.
The next year, in 2014, Mr Ward apologised after indicating he would like to fire rockets from Gaza into Israel.
Mr Farron has suspended his membership and an independent panel will carry out an independent assessment after the election.