Finchley and Golders Green: Leader of Jewish Labour to challenge Mike Freer for Barnet seat
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The chairman of Jewish Labour has been selected as the candidate for Finchley and Golders Green in the upcoming general election.
Jeremy Newmark, who is the previous CEO of the Jewish Leadership Council and a former spokesman for Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, will represent the Labour Party on June 8.
Announcing his selection, Mr Newmark said he was “proud” to have been picked.
He added: “I will fight against a reckless extreme Tory Brexit and I will work tirelessly to let local people know that this election is a choice between a Labour Party that will stand up for local people or a Conservative Party that only looks after the privileged few.
“The Tories have overseen the biggest cuts to our public services in a generation. The NHS and social care are in crisis. Schools in Barnet are threatened with budget reductions of £500 per pupil.
You may also want to watch:
“The Conservatives have closed every police station in the constituency and removed nearly 200 police officers and PCSOs from Barnet, putting our safety at risk.”
He will go up against incumbent Conservative MP Mike Freer and fellow challengers Adele Ward from the Greens and Jonathan Davies from the Liberal Democrats.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 6 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
Mr Newmark was one of many Labour members to call for the expulsion of former Mayor of London Ken Livingstone after his comments suggesting Adolf Hitler once supported Zionism.