Finchley and Golders Green: Leader of Jewish Labour to challenge Mike Freer for Barnet seat
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The chairman of Jewish Labour has been selected as the candidate for Finchley and Golders Green in the upcoming general election.
Jeremy Newmark, who is the previous CEO of the Jewish Leadership Council and a former spokesman for Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, will represent the Labour Party on June 8.
Announcing his selection, Mr Newmark said he was “proud” to have been picked.
He added: “I will fight against a reckless extreme Tory Brexit and I will work tirelessly to let local people know that this election is a choice between a Labour Party that will stand up for local people or a Conservative Party that only looks after the privileged few.
“The Tories have overseen the biggest cuts to our public services in a generation. The NHS and social care are in crisis. Schools in Barnet are threatened with budget reductions of £500 per pupil.
You may also want to watch:
“The Conservatives have closed every police station in the constituency and removed nearly 200 police officers and PCSOs from Barnet, putting our safety at risk.”
He will go up against incumbent Conservative MP Mike Freer and fellow challengers Adele Ward from the Greens and Jonathan Davies from the Liberal Democrats.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Punk Blythe doll worth almost £1,000 visits Camden Town
- 8 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 9 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Mr Newmark was one of many Labour members to call for the expulsion of former Mayor of London Ken Livingstone after his comments suggesting Adolf Hitler once supported Zionism.