Final shortlist of proposals for Hampstead Heath dams project revealed
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Heath bosses have unveiled the final set of proposals for their controversial £15million dams project.
The City of London Corporation’s design consultant, engineering firm Atkins, has released a shortlist of “preferred options” – the result of months of work narrowing down possibilities.
There are now just two alternatives being considered for the Highgate pond chain, which includes the Model Boating Pond and the Kenwood Ladies’ Bathing Pond, and another two options for the Hampstead side, where the Mixed Bathing Pond is situated.
City staff say the most significant changes would be focused on the Model Boating Pond, which could expanded, swallowing up some of its banks and potentially creating a tree-studded island or peninsula in the middle.
Jeremy Simons, chairman of the Hampstead Heath Management Committee, said: “The current options aim to have the least possible impact, while improving the safety and resilience of the dams which form the ponds.”
You may also want to watch:
This final shortlist will form the basis of a public consultation running from November to February.
The Corporation is yet to detail the extent of disruption or the timescale for works.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/pondsproject to see the report.