Final shortlist of proposals for Hampstead Heath dams project revealed
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Heath bosses have unveiled the final set of proposals for their controversial £15million dams project.
The City of London Corporation’s design consultant, engineering firm Atkins, has released a shortlist of “preferred options” – the result of months of work narrowing down possibilities.
There are now just two alternatives being considered for the Highgate pond chain, which includes the Model Boating Pond and the Kenwood Ladies’ Bathing Pond, and another two options for the Hampstead side, where the Mixed Bathing Pond is situated.
City staff say the most significant changes would be focused on the Model Boating Pond, which could expanded, swallowing up some of its banks and potentially creating a tree-studded island or peninsula in the middle.
Jeremy Simons, chairman of the Hampstead Heath Management Committee, said: “The current options aim to have the least possible impact, while improving the safety and resilience of the dams which form the ponds.”
You may also want to watch:
This final shortlist will form the basis of a public consultation running from November to February.
The Corporation is yet to detail the extent of disruption or the timescale for works.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/pondsproject to see the report.