Final shortlist of proposals for Hampstead Heath dams project revealed
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Heath bosses have unveiled the final set of proposals for their controversial £15million dams project.
The City of London Corporation’s design consultant, engineering firm Atkins, has released a shortlist of “preferred options” – the result of months of work narrowing down possibilities.
There are now just two alternatives being considered for the Highgate pond chain, which includes the Model Boating Pond and the Kenwood Ladies’ Bathing Pond, and another two options for the Hampstead side, where the Mixed Bathing Pond is situated.
City staff say the most significant changes would be focused on the Model Boating Pond, which could expanded, swallowing up some of its banks and potentially creating a tree-studded island or peninsula in the middle.
Jeremy Simons, chairman of the Hampstead Heath Management Committee, said: “The current options aim to have the least possible impact, while improving the safety and resilience of the dams which form the ponds.”
You may also want to watch:
This final shortlist will form the basis of a public consultation running from November to February.
The Corporation is yet to detail the extent of disruption or the timescale for works.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/pondsproject to see the report.