Fight to prove asbestos death
PUBLISHED: 15:07 15 January 2009 | UPDATED: 15:49 07 September 2010
THE wife of a West Hampstead architect who died after being exposed to asbestos has launched a bid for justice. Roger Cass, 77, died in 2006 from the fatal asbestos-related lung disease mesothelioma. His wife Irene Cass, 80, is asking witnesses to come fo
THE wife of a West Hampstead architect who died after being exposed to asbestos has launched a bid for justice.
Roger Cass, 77, died in 2006 from the fatal asbestos-related lung disease mesothelioma.
His wife Irene Cass, 80, is asking witnesses to come forward to help her with her claim against her husband's former employer, London County Council, later known as the Greater London Council.
One building in which it is thought he was exposed to asbestos is the Elgin Estate in Maida Vale and Mrs Cass wants to hear from anyone who worked with her late husband on the estate.
She said: "After the diagnosis of mesothelioma, Roger's condition deteriorated rapidly.
"He became anxious and worried and, during the last months leading up to his death, Roger suffered weight loss.
"He also became extremely frustrated at the acceleration of his illness and his inability to do things. He passed away in March 2006 and will be missed dearly."
He is thought to have been exposed to asbestos dust and fibres while working as an architect in the housing division and then later for the technical information group with LCC from 1955 to 1986.
During his employment, Mr Cass was required to go into buildings which were in the process of demolition or structural alteration.
It is believed it was during these visits that he was exposed to asbestos. At the Elgin Estate, he was involved in overseeing the removal of defective cladding which contained asbestos.
Tariq Khan, from lawyers Irwin Mitchell, who is representing Mrs Cass, said: "We would like to hear from anyone who worked at the Elgin Estate for LCC and remembers working in areas which were contaminated with asbestos.
"More than 2,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma every year. It is a type of cancer which is almost always caused by asbestos exposure.
"It does not respond well to treatment and treatment options are limited. Employers have a duty to take precautions with asbestos. There is no safe type of asbestos and no safe level of asbestos exposure."
Anyone able to help is asked to call Mr Khan on 0870 1500 100 or email Tariq.Khan@ IrwinMitchell.com.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.