Festival preview: Standon Calling, Hertfordshire
- Credit: Archant
Get the full festival experience less than an hour from north London
London is jammed with one day music events, from this weekend’s Wireless in Finsbury Park to the forthcoming Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally.
But for those who fear they are missing out on the full immersive festival experience - but crucially don’t want to spend hours in transit - then Standon Calling is, well, calling.
The three day event on a Hertfordshire estate offers all the gloriously eclectic joys of family-friendly entertainment rolled up with quality outdoor gigs.
Headliners this year include Bryan Ferry, Paloma Faith, George Ezra and Goldfrapp, but the breadth of musical entertainment is extensive with a Groove Garden in a futuristic dome featuring DJ sets by the likes of Jarvis Cocker a BBC introducing stage for emerging talent and a 20th anniversary show by the madcap Cuban Brothers.
You may also want to watch:
Elswhere there is comedy from Lucy Porter and Sean Walsh, children’s entertainment from Horrible Histories and loads of family fun from the annual dog show to craft tents a funfair and a costume parade that gets everyone dressing up. For wellbeing lovers there is yoga and hot tubs and everyone can get splashing around in the heated outdoor swimming pool,
Now in it’s thirteenth year, the watchwords for this festival with a loyal regular audience are inclusive, creative and fun.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
New for this year are the Standon playing fields, think a big village fet with the chance to try Lord Trenchard’s cricket tournament, binocular football or sock wrestling.
Vinyl lovers should also bring along their favourite discs to spin and share at dedicated decks.
July 26-29. Adult weekend tickets from £159. Go to standon-calling.com