Featherstone optimistic about being re-elected
LYNNE FEATHERSTONE MP said she is optimistic about being re-elected, as the Haringey election count staggers towards the finishing line. Ms Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat incumbent MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, arrived at Alexandra Palace at 4.30am
LYNNE FEATHERSTONE MP said she is "optimistic" about being re-elected, as the Haringey election count staggers towards the finishing line.
Ms Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat incumbent MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, arrived at Alexandra Palace at 4.30am.
She said: "I'm optimistic so far and want to wait and see what the result brings. With a fair wind you'd think we'd know an hour after they started counting. It's looking positive. There was no need for me to come earlier. My team rang me and gave me updates - I was watching the count at home."
Ms Featherstone said the leaders' debate and Clegg effect - had "sky rocketed" interest in the elections - resulting in a 70 per cent turnout among voters in Hornsey and Wood Green.
"It's been fantastic all through the campaign," she said. "I haven't seen anything like it."
And on the Liberal Democrat's performance nationally, she added: "I always think we should win. We want to see what the night brings. At the stage I left, the results were all over the place. They were all saying we can't make head or tail of if."
- 1 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 4 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 7 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 8 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 9 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
She said that the first past the post electoral system worked in favour of the two main parties and the media and funding tended to follow, adding: "I'm still hopeful that the establishment waters won't wash over our heads. But I'm a born optimist.