Featherstone optimistic about being re-elected
LYNNE FEATHERSTONE MP said she is optimistic about being re-elected, as the Haringey election count staggers towards the finishing line. Ms Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat incumbent MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, arrived at Alexandra Palace at 4.30am
LYNNE FEATHERSTONE MP said she is "optimistic" about being re-elected, as the Haringey election count staggers towards the finishing line.
Ms Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat incumbent MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, arrived at Alexandra Palace at 4.30am.
She said: "I'm optimistic so far and want to wait and see what the result brings. With a fair wind you'd think we'd know an hour after they started counting. It's looking positive. There was no need for me to come earlier. My team rang me and gave me updates - I was watching the count at home."
Ms Featherstone said the leaders' debate and Clegg effect - had "sky rocketed" interest in the elections - resulting in a 70 per cent turnout among voters in Hornsey and Wood Green.
You may also want to watch:
"It's been fantastic all through the campaign," she said. "I haven't seen anything like it."
And on the Liberal Democrat's performance nationally, she added: "I always think we should win. We want to see what the night brings. At the stage I left, the results were all over the place. They were all saying we can't make head or tail of if."
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
She said that the first past the post electoral system worked in favour of the two main parties and the media and funding tended to follow, adding: "I'm still hopeful that the establishment waters won't wash over our heads. But I'm a born optimist.