Father and daughter peddle family values on 230-mile ride
A FATHER and daughter team have set out on a 230-mile cycle ride from their Highgate home to raise money for charity. Paul Renney and his 15-year-old daughter Olivia peddled out from their home in Cholmeley Park to make the journey to Polzeath on the nort
A FATHER and daughter team have set out on a 230-mile cycle ride from their Highgate home to raise money for charity.
Paul Renney and his 15-year-old daughter Olivia peddled out from their home in Cholmeley Park to make the journey to Polzeath on the north Cornwall coast.
"It was Olivia's idea and, being a slightly mad father, I said, 'Well why not'," said Mr Renney, who is a lawyer.
"We're going along the old A30 because that will be a more scenic route. We thought about driving out to the edge of the M25 before getting on our bikes but then we thought, 'No, that's nonsense.'
You may also want to watch:
"We said we'll do it from home so that's what we've decided to do."
The pair, who set off last Thursday morning, have stocked up on supplies and have been in hard training leading up to the event, cycling from Highgate to Hatfield, St Albans and Hammersmith.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
The only worry before they left was Olivia's knee injury, sustained while playing lacrosse, but after a spot of physiotherapy she is in good form.
They are raising money for National Children's Homes, and so far Olivia is leading the fundraising race.
To sponsor her, log on to www.justgiving. com/oliviarenney.
To sponsor her dad, visit www.justgiving. com/paulrenneybytenight08.
Picture by Nigel Sutton