FAN'S EYE VIEW: Spurs league position is a mockery
BY MIKE McKINLEY Well, we did our best to banish the Carling Cup final hangover with four more points towards keeping out of trouble. Last week s game against Middlesbrough showed, like the Stoke City game, why it s a bit of a mockery for us to be toiling down in the low
Well, we did our best to banish the Carling Cup final hangover with four more points towards keeping out of trouble.
Last week's game against Middlesbrough showed, like the Stoke City game, why it's a bit of a mockery for us to be toiling down in the lower echelons with them.
And then the trip to Sunderland threatened to remind us just why we are down there, finally ending in a well-deserved and gratefully received point.
The equaliser also showed the folly in Rafa Benitez's - and to a degree Juande Ramos's - handling of Robbie Keane.
You may also want to watch:
The Irishman scores important goals, and a good proportion of them come late in the day.
And it's pretty difficult for him to score them when he's been hauled off on the hour mark.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 9 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 10 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
Saturday wasn't his greatest game, but nonetheless there he was in the right place, getting us a result.
For all the recriminations about his departure and return, if he keeps doing that I'm sure we'll all be happy.
No Europe means no midweek games, and with that the promise of Ledley King getting a full week's rest between matches.
It's harsh on Michael Dawson if he becomes the odd man out, as his form has been back to its very best in recent months. It has to be King plus one at the back.
On to Aston Villa on Sunday, and feelings on this one depend where you lie in the balance of "we still need the points" and "don't let Woolwich finish fourth".
Suffice to say, it wouldn't be that painful a defeat to take if it happened. I hope those words don't come back to haunt me.