Family of stabbing victim welcome killer's sentence
THE family of a young father who was stabbed to death by a paranoid schizophrenic have spoken of their relief after the killer was jailed for life. Elliot Guy, 27, died after he was knifed in the neck by Colin Welsh, 42, at a house party in Tufnell Park i
THE family of a young father who was stabbed to death by a paranoid schizophrenic have spoken of their relief after the killer was jailed for life.
Elliot Guy, 27, died after he was knifed in the neck by Colin Welsh, 42, at a house party in Tufnell Park in the early hours of July 19 2008, leaving behind his long-term partner Amy Smith and their 12-week-old daughter Eleanor.
Welsh, who has a string of violent convictions, was told at the Old Bailey on Tuesday that he would serve a minimum term of 12 years.
Mr Guy's mother Sally Brown said afterwards: "If someone had come forward earlier with what this guy had been doing over the years there wouldn't have been a victim. It took my son's death before they locked him up. For my son I feel I can finally say, 'rest in peace, darling'."
You may also want to watch:
Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, rejected submissions that Welsh should be sent to a mental hospital. Welsh, who was confirmed as a paranoid schizophrenic by two experts, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility.
The court heard how Mr Guy had attended the party with his cousin and friends and the atmosphere was entirely friendly. At 2.45am, while Mr Guy was in the lavatory, Welsh kicked open the toilet door. After an exchange of words between the pair, who had never previously met, Welsh lunged at Mr Guy with a knife, severing his jugular vein.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 10 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
Mr Guy staggered out of the party and was rushed to the Whittington Hospital but his heart had already stopped.
During the hearing a statement from Ms Smith read: "The biggest victim is Eleanor. Her dad was taken away from her in just 12 short weeks. We never had time to do anything together."
* Read more about the killer in this week's Ham&High