Family of Highgate man who fell from Archway Bride say he was ‘failed’ by Haringey mental health services

The family of a Highgate man who jumped to his death from Archway Bridge said that Haringey’s mental health services had “failed him” at his inquest on Friday.

Jonathan Culverwell-Landsberg, 33 who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, died from multiple injuries shortly after he fell from the bridge in June.

A verdict on the cause of his death was not reached on the day of the inquest as his family, including his mother, step-father and four sisters, wanted to wait to hear the contents of his psychiatric report, which had not been written in time.

The delay led members of his family to question the quality of Haringey’s mental health services, saying that they had “failed him”.

His sister Tasharna Averill said: “They never supported us and let us know more about the mental issues my brother went through.

“Considering the state that he was in, they failed him 100 per cent. The whole mental health system should be re-vamped and looked into again.

“It’s such a debilitating illness and nothing is done to help the family or to help the person who is suffering from this illness.”

Most Read

Martin Hodgson, deputy headteacher of Holloway School in Hilldrop Road, Holloway, was driving under Archway Bridge when he saw a man fall onto Archway Road on Thursday, June 7 at around 6.30am.

He was flagged down by a cyclist and immediately called the emergency services.

“All I could do was pray,” he told the court, addressing Mr Culverwell-Landsberg’s mother Ceidre.

But he was pronounced dead 45 minutes later despite the efforts of an off-duty doctor, who began chest compressions when Mr Culverwell-Landsberg suffered a heart attack.

Poplar Coroner’s Court heard the former courier, who lived with his mother Ceidre in North Hill at the time of his death, often talked to one of his sisters about suicide attempts.

He had once posted about taking his own life on social networking website Facebook, which had prompted his friends to kick down his door.

Ceidre Culverwell paid tribute to her “witty” and “intelligent” son after the inquest was adjourned to a later date.

“He was always the main person in a crowd,” she said. “He was very popular, very witty and extremely intelligent.”

His sister Andrea Averill-Jones added: “He was a really funny guy and everyone always enjoyed his company.

“When he walked into a room, everyone would laugh.”

Traces of alcohol, cocaine and cannabis were found in Mr Culverwell-Landsberg’s blood but the toxicologist said this would not have caused or contributed to his death.

Mr Culverwell-Landsberg’s car, which was full of his personal belongings because he was due to move in with his sister in Muswell Hill on the day of his death, was found by police on Hampstead Heath on June 8.

The window had been smashed and the car ransacked of all items, including a favourite Armani jacket.

The court heard that Mr Culverwell-Landsberg’s mobile phone had still not been recovered.

A spokesman for Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust, said after the hearing: “We would like to extend our sympathy to the family of Mr Culverwell-Landsberg at this difficult time. The trust always strives to offer the highest standards of treatment, care and support to our patients and their carers and we would be more than happy to discuss with the family if they feel that we have not achieved these high standards in any way.”