Family and friends gather in Highgate for George Michael’s funeral
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The funeral of singer George Michael took place at Highgate Cemetery today as his local fans call for a monument to commemorate the star’s generosity
Pop star George Michael, who died on Christmas Day, has been laid to rest at a small, private funeral at Highgate Cemetery.
In a statement, the family said: “We can confirm that the funeral of the singer George Michael took place today.
“Family and close friends gathered for the small, private ceremony to say goodbye to their beloved Son, Brother and Friend.
“George Michael’s family would like to thank his fans across the world for their many messages of love and support.
“We ask that the family’s wish for privacy be respected so that they can continue to live their lives privately, away from any media intrusion.”
Meanwhile, Highgate fans are calling for George Michael, who rose to fame as part of Wham!, to receive public recognition for his charity work, as well as for his musical talent.
- 1 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 2 'Wet End Lane': Leak could take five days to fix
- 3 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 6 Review: Moreish Mediterranean cuisine at Muswell Hill cafe with roastery
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 'No one hurt' as branch crashes to ground at Hampstead Heath
- 9 'Conte, Richarlison and a hard-fought Spurs point at Chelsea'
- 10 Elderly disabled woman 'racially abused' on Camden bus
The Ham&High exclusively revealed last year that George Michael had secretly funded the Highgate Christmas tree in the private square outside his house in The Grove, as well the Christmas lights for the past decade.
He also donated to Highgate’s Fair in the Square for ten years, on condition of anonymity.
A petition started by Muswell Hill driving instructor John Vasiliou for a lifesize bronze statue outside George Michael’s home has reached 5,300 signatures.
More than a thousand people have signed a separate petition for a memorial bench on Hampstead Heath.