EXCLUSIVE: Gary Mabbutt on how Spurs can scoop the pool
GARY Mabbutt is backing Tottenham to finish the Premier League season on a high and complete the double over Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday afternoon, writes PATRICK MOONEY. Spurs, in fact, have beaten the Merseysiders twice this season – in the Carling C
GARY Mabbutt is backing Tottenham to finish the Premier League season on a high and complete the double over Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday afternoon, writes PATRICK MOONEY.
Spurs, in fact, have beaten the Merseysiders twice this season - in the Carling Cup and the first league meeting - and the former Lilywhites legend feels Harry Redknapp's men can cash in on Liverpool's misery on missing out on the title to Manchester United.
"All the Liverpool players are waiting to do is go on their holidays," Mabbutt exclusively told Ham&High Sport.
"Liverpool will be a bit deflated with Manchester United having already won the title. I believe their focus will not be as fixed as it should be.
You may also want to watch:
"You could see the frustration of Jamie Carragher boiling over against his own team-mate on Sunday at West Brom. Liverpool pushed United all the way but were pipped at the post."
Tottenham, who battled relegation for most of the season, arrive at Anfield in buoyant form and victory could secure seventh spot - and the final Europa League spot if Fulham fail to win their final game against Everton.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 9 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
"This fixture is now a totally different senario for Spurs," said Mabbutt. "Earlier in the season most of us were thinking Tottenham would have to beat Liverpool in order to avoid relegation while Rafa Benitez's men would be needing the three points to clinch the title."
Mabbutt also feels the stage is set for a "Roy of the Rovers" finale - with Spurs skipper Robbie Keane scoring the winner to silence the Kop doubters.
"Keane will have a point to prove after his unhappy spell at Anfield," said Mabbutt. "Despite not playing as well as he did before leaving, Robbie has been influential since coming back to the Lane.
"He has scored some vital goals, including Saturday's winner against Manchester City and has a big presence on and off the field."
Spurs Tom Huddlestone this week had surgery on his left knee and misses Sunday's game.