‘Excellent’ Highgate lunch club for elderly gets £1,000 boost
- Credit: Archant
A handicapped woman has praised a lunch club for giving older residents the chance to get out of their homes after handing them a cheque for £1,000 from the Highgate Society.
Edna Wallace, 88, never misses her monthly social lunch at Jacksons Lane centre, Archway Road, Highgate. So when she was asked to present the donation to organiser Stuart Cox on Friday, she was delighted, if not a little surprised, to accept.
“The lunches make it easy for us to integrate and we enjoy going to them,” the Southwood Park resident said. “The entertainment is excellent and we have big stars of stage and screen who come here.”
The over-55s lunch club, which offers residents a healthy two-course meal with tea, coffee and entertainment for £5, has been running at the venue since September 2012.
Mr Cox said: “Everyone is thrilled by the donation.
You may also want to watch:
“There is always a great buzz on a social lunch day because we try our best to arrange good talks, singers and entertainment.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath