Evening talk in Highgate on how to make your home energy-chic
- Credit: Archant
The first of a series of free talks is taking place in Highgate for anyone with a draughty, badly ventilated house.
The Highgate Society’s Sustainable Homes Group is hosting an Energy Chic evening with tips on insulation and ventilation the environmentally friendly way.
John Doggart, who was recently awarded an MBE for his pioneering work on the national Superhomes initiative, is chairing the event where visitors have a chance to sign up for one-to-one advice with energy experts.
The follow Saturday he is inviting visitors to his own energy-chic house in Belsize Park with further opportunities to learn about making your space environmentally and economically friendly.
Sydney Charles, one of the organisers, said: “Period properties, the sort that people in and around Highgate and Hampstead love, can be notoriously difficult to keep comfortably warm and we expect so much more comfort these days than the generations that first built them.
You may also want to watch:
“The knowledge is there, now, for some really effective improvements that don’t threaten either the appearance or the long-term ‘health’ of the building and of course, some of these measures can radically reduce a home’s carbon footprint, something we are all so aware of these days”.
“We’re assured of a great turnout for our first evening. Three brilliant speakers, all of whom work in this field at national level - Russell Smith of Parity Projects, architect Robert Prewett, and Peter Rickaby of Rickaby Thomson Associates - will be talking about the way a whole house functions, insulation, and ventilation.
- 1 Prince Philip's funeral: Camden firm Levertons to make arrangements
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“On arrival you can sign up for a one-on-one chat with one of the experts over a glass of wine afterwards.”
Highgate Society Hall, South Grove on February 8 at 7pm. Booking recommended.
For more information visit highgatesociety.com or see #energychic on twitter.