Even as a kid, Wenger rated the deadly young Torres
In Europe they continue to confound the critics, but domestically it s been another season of underachievement for Liverpool. This is despite the superb form of their star striker Fernando Torres (pictured), surely the most impressive signing of last summ
In Europe they continue to confound the critics, but domestically it's been another season of underachievement for Liverpool.
This is despite the superb form of their star striker Fernando Torres (pictured), surely the most impressive signing of last summer.
The Spain star has, with the help of Steven Gerrard's unerring consistency, almost certainly dragged the Anfield side into another top four finish.
Without his 21 league goals, even a Uefa Cup berth may have been doubtful. His last Premier League strike - in Sunday's 1-0 Merseyside derby win over Everton at Anfield - moved them five points clear in fourth place of their city rivals with six games to go. He also equalled a club record of scoring in six successive home league games.
You may also want to watch:
Arsene Wenger admitted he watched the youthful Torres when he started out at his boyhood club Atletico Madrid. "I rate Torres," said Wenger, "he is extremely dangerous. "
Another club record was also beaten on Sunday. Goalkeeper Pepe Reina reached 100 appearances for the club, in which he has kept 54 clean sheets, one better than Ray Clemence's 53 in his first century of games.
- 1 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 2 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 3 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 4 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 7 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 8 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
Regardless of Wednesday night's result in the Champions League, Arsenal will fancy their chances of three points in the second of their quick-fire trilogy of encounters with Liverpool.