Euston Station reopens after South Hampstead fire causes evacuation
- Credit: Archant
Euston Station has reopened after being evacuated due to a trackside fire.
Power was switched off yesterday afternoon so engineers could deal with the blaze near South Hampstead station, which damaged signalling equipment.
Emergency services were also at the scene.
London Overground trains between Harrow and Wealdstone and Euston are expected to run again from 1pm.
The taxi rank remains closed and the car park will be closed all day.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for services not available will be valid on the Underground and London buses.
In statement released this morning, Network Rail said: “Train services are returning to normal on the West Coast mainline today after Network Rail engineers restored power overnight to London Euston and its signals – the railway’s traffic lights – following a cable fire at South Hampstead yesterday.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
“Customers are advised to check before they travel for the latest information on nationalrail.co.uk and with their train operators.
“While our engineers have restored power to Euston, they have yet to replace the 100-metre stretch of fire-destroyed, 11,000-volt cable at South Hampstead. They will do this job overnight.”
Yesterday, passengers reported being stuck at the station, with one saying: “Stuck at Euston Train station with the guy from @ArsenalFanTV”.
Another, MumtoTheDrinker, wrote on Twitter: “First trip to London for work and the train can’t leave the station because Euston has been evacuated and has no power”.