Euro MP calls for ban on mosquito zapping of kids
London s Liberal Democrat MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford has today launched a campaign in the European Parliament to ban Mosquito devices used to disperse allegedly troublesome teenagers. Using technology originally designed to scare away vermin, the Mosqui
London's Liberal Democrat MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford has today launched a campaign in the European Parliament to ban Mosquito devices used to disperse allegedly troublesome teenagers.
Using technology originally designed to scare away vermin, the 'Mosquito' emits a very high frequency buzzing sound which supposedly cannot be heard by people over the age of 25. In the UK, 3,500 have been deployed, often by shops.
Baroness Ludford denounces the use of 'Mosquitos' as a breach of fundamental rights and calls on the European Commission to promote a ban on sale and use of these devices on the grounds that they are designed specifically to distress and annoy young people.
"It is time to call a halt to the drift into demonisation of young people. I am pleased that the campaign against these discriminatory devices, which treat young people as no more than pests, is being taken onto a European platform."
You may also want to watch:
"Astonishingly, while these devices are deliberately designed to be unpleasant, no research has been done into possible harm caused by 'Mosquitos' to the hearing or health of youngsters or adults."
"It is a mark of how low we have sunk in attitudes to kids that this is allowed to go on. It wouldn't happen to any other group in society. A loudspeaker which only shouted abuse at men, black people or old people would not be tolerated for a moment," she said.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate