Euro MP calls for ban on mosquito zapping of kids
London s Liberal Democrat MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford has today launched a campaign in the European Parliament to ban Mosquito devices used to disperse allegedly troublesome teenagers. Using technology originally designed to scare away vermin, the Mosqui
London's Liberal Democrat MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford has today launched a campaign in the European Parliament to ban Mosquito devices used to disperse allegedly troublesome teenagers.
Using technology originally designed to scare away vermin, the 'Mosquito' emits a very high frequency buzzing sound which supposedly cannot be heard by people over the age of 25. In the UK, 3,500 have been deployed, often by shops.
Baroness Ludford denounces the use of 'Mosquitos' as a breach of fundamental rights and calls on the European Commission to promote a ban on sale and use of these devices on the grounds that they are designed specifically to distress and annoy young people.
"It is time to call a halt to the drift into demonisation of young people. I am pleased that the campaign against these discriminatory devices, which treat young people as no more than pests, is being taken onto a European platform."
You may also want to watch:
"Astonishingly, while these devices are deliberately designed to be unpleasant, no research has been done into possible harm caused by 'Mosquitos' to the hearing or health of youngsters or adults."
"It is a mark of how low we have sunk in attitudes to kids that this is allowed to go on. It wouldn't happen to any other group in society. A loudspeaker which only shouted abuse at men, black people or old people would not be tolerated for a moment," she said.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Letters: The floods!