Equality champion Liz Bingham OBE: ‘West Hampstead is Hampstead’s funky relation’
- Credit: Archant
Liz Bingham OBE is managing partner of people and talent at Big Four accountancy firm Ernst and Young. The 52-year-old was recognised in the New Year’s Honours List earlier this month for promoting equality in the workplace. She has lived in West Hampstead for 18 years.
What brought you to West Hampstead? I moved to West Hampstead from Queen’s Park – at the time it was a step up and a great compromise as I couldn’t afford Hampstead! I always used to think of West Hampstead as Hampstead’s poor but funky relation.
What’s the best memory you have of the area? The best memory is hard to pick – there are so many, from wining and dining with friends in West Hampstead’s many bars and bistros, to walking my miniature schnauzers through the cemetery on a summer’s day.
How has West Hampstead changed since you moved into the area? It has absolutely excellent transport links, including a 20-minute bus ride to Selfridges!
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? Mo Mowlam, the former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? To reclaim the high street from major supermarkets and charity shops and encourage independent businesses to flourish.
What makes you smile on your way home? The buzz of West End Lane, especially on a sunny evening when the bars and bistros are packed with people having a great time.
- 1 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 4 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 5 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 8 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 9 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 10 Meet the new chief nurse at the Whittington Hospital
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? Nelson, New Zealand. Whilst Nelson is a town in itself, it is really buzzy and full of interesting businesses and has a lovely community feel that makes people proud to live there and reluctant to leave.
What tips would you give somebody moving to the area? To get involved with local activities, the community is great and really friendly.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? Gone but not forgotten.