Equality champion Liz Bingham OBE: ‘West Hampstead is Hampstead’s funky relation’
- Credit: Archant
Liz Bingham OBE is managing partner of people and talent at Big Four accountancy firm Ernst and Young. The 52-year-old was recognised in the New Year’s Honours List earlier this month for promoting equality in the workplace. She has lived in West Hampstead for 18 years.
What brought you to West Hampstead? I moved to West Hampstead from Queen’s Park – at the time it was a step up and a great compromise as I couldn’t afford Hampstead! I always used to think of West Hampstead as Hampstead’s poor but funky relation.
What’s the best memory you have of the area? The best memory is hard to pick – there are so many, from wining and dining with friends in West Hampstead’s many bars and bistros, to walking my miniature schnauzers through the cemetery on a summer’s day.
How has West Hampstead changed since you moved into the area? It has absolutely excellent transport links, including a 20-minute bus ride to Selfridges!
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? Mo Mowlam, the former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
You may also want to watch:
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? To reclaim the high street from major supermarkets and charity shops and encourage independent businesses to flourish.
What makes you smile on your way home? The buzz of West End Lane, especially on a sunny evening when the bars and bistros are packed with people having a great time.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 3 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 4 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 9 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 10 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? Nelson, New Zealand. Whilst Nelson is a town in itself, it is really buzzy and full of interesting businesses and has a lovely community feel that makes people proud to live there and reluctant to leave.
What tips would you give somebody moving to the area? To get involved with local activities, the community is great and really friendly.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? Gone but not forgotten.