Equality champion Liz Bingham OBE: ‘West Hampstead is Hampstead’s funky relation’
- Credit: Archant
Liz Bingham OBE is managing partner of people and talent at Big Four accountancy firm Ernst and Young. The 52-year-old was recognised in the New Year’s Honours List earlier this month for promoting equality in the workplace. She has lived in West Hampstead for 18 years.
What brought you to West Hampstead? I moved to West Hampstead from Queen’s Park – at the time it was a step up and a great compromise as I couldn’t afford Hampstead! I always used to think of West Hampstead as Hampstead’s poor but funky relation.
What’s the best memory you have of the area? The best memory is hard to pick – there are so many, from wining and dining with friends in West Hampstead’s many bars and bistros, to walking my miniature schnauzers through the cemetery on a summer’s day.
How has West Hampstead changed since you moved into the area? It has absolutely excellent transport links, including a 20-minute bus ride to Selfridges!
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? Mo Mowlam, the former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
You may also want to watch:
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? To reclaim the high street from major supermarkets and charity shops and encourage independent businesses to flourish.
What makes you smile on your way home? The buzz of West End Lane, especially on a sunny evening when the bars and bistros are packed with people having a great time.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? Nelson, New Zealand. Whilst Nelson is a town in itself, it is really buzzy and full of interesting businesses and has a lovely community feel that makes people proud to live there and reluctant to leave.
What tips would you give somebody moving to the area? To get involved with local activities, the community is great and really friendly.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? Gone but not forgotten.