Search

Dog owners on alert after ‘poisonous’ ice cream cone found in Primrose Hill

PUBLISHED: 08:00 01 May 2014 | UPDATED: 12:43 01 May 2014

Dog Toby died earlier this year in Brent after eating chicken poisoned with the same substance thought to have been found in Primrose Hill

Dog Toby died earlier this year in Brent after eating chicken poisoned with the same substance thought to have been found in Primrose Hill

Archant

Dog owners have been warned by police to be on their guard after an ice cream cone filled with a suspicious bright blue paste suspected to be poison was discovered on the lower slopes of Primrose Hill.

Royal Parks contractors were alerted to the ice cream cone approximately two weeks ago with police believing the substance could be Methomyl – an insecticide that is deadly to humans as well as animals.

The banned substance is thought to have killed three dogs at a Brent park earlier this year, with one dying after eating meat left on a grass verge that was “smeared in a blue paste”.

Police are not linking the blue paste poisonings in Brent to the case of five dogs who mysteriously fell ill after walking in Hampstead Heath last month.

Vets believe the Heath dogs could have consumed a recreational drug, but are still awaiting results from blood samples sent to the US for further analysis.

Police have urged anyone who sees a bright blue paste on 
anything in Regent’s Park or Primrose Hill to immediately ring 999 and stay clear of the item.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express