Environment boss Greene wants to be beside the seaside
By Katie Davies HAMPSTEAD councillor Mike Greene likes to be beside the seaside – so much so he has turned his back on Camden politics and put himself forward to become MP of Bournemouth. Next month the parking tsar will find out whether he has been sele
By Katie Davies
HAMPSTEAD councillor Mike Greene likes to be beside the seaside - so much so he has turned his back on Camden politics and put himself forward to become MP of Bournemouth.
Next month the parking tsar will find out whether he has been selected as Tory candidate for Bournemouth West. If he is, he will be leaving Camden Council for sunnier climes.
His announcement is a flip-flop from last year, when he denied rumours about the move put to him at the time by the Ham&High.
You may also want to watch:
"I have now put my name forward for Bournemouth West, but they haven't selected anyone yet," Cllr Greene said. "When the Ham&High asked me, the seat wasn't being contested - the MP Tom Butterfield said he was going to fight the next election. However, last month he announced he wouldn't."
The Hampstead councillor has served Camden Council for nearly 10 years and has been environment and parking chief since 2006.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
For more on this story see this week's Ham&High.