Euro 2020 final: 'After all the pain, forgive us the hope'
- Credit: PA
England are in the final of a major tournament. This is not a drill – England are in the final of a major tournament.
Harry Kane is scoring rebounds from awful penalties, Harry Maguire is head-repelling anything and everything, Bukayo Saka is at one with an inflatable unicorn.
Aaron Ramsdale has one hand on the trophy.... OK I’m getting carried away now but forgive us some topless excitement, after all the false dawns.
Tournament after tournament we’ve managed to convince ourselves that “this is our year”.
Emile Heskey is the perfect foil, Matthew Upson will give us balance, Andy Carroll will offer us a plan B, the squad is the happiest it’s been now Hodgson has reinstated ketchup.
Simply nothing can stop our inevitable rise to the top.
Then the reality – penalty heartache, Kane taking corners, Andrea Pirlo ending Joe Hart’s career, 4-4-2.
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 5 Two more charged in connection with Olsi Kuka killing in Barnet
- 6 Royal beacon in Golders Hill shines light for Queen
- 7 Gold and silver for a Platinum Jubilee party
- 8 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 Home of the week: Hampstead flat with garden for £1.25m
Now, though, it obviously feels different. We’ve got a team full of nice chaps, led by a lovely manager who seems intent on making us proud to be English.
What could possibly stop us? We’ve got Jack Grealish on the bench, he can answer anyone’s prayers.
So yes, after all the pain and dire displays of previous campaigns, let’s allow ourselves this moment to get completely carried away.
Even if we do play Kieran Tripper as a no.10 to stop Italy playing through midfield.