End to school chaos in Camden
SPECIAL pupil-only buses could be rolled out to tackle transport chaos outside three Camden secondary schools. Residents and transport users around Highgate Road have long complained about problems because of the thousands of school children who spill ont
SPECIAL pupil-only buses could be rolled out to tackle transport chaos outside three Camden secondary schools.
Residents and transport users around Highgate Road have long complained about problems because of the thousands of school children who spill onto the streets each afternoon.
Highgate Safer Neighbourhoods police team and its citizens' panel have been working with the headteachers of the three schools - William Ellis, La Sainte Union and Parliament Hill - to find a solution. Sgt Jeff Williams is hoping TfL will provide the remedy by providing school buses at peak times.
"I would like to see residents and normal commuters being able to use the buses without being intimidated by the kids," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"It is very early days at the moment but I am trying to find a long-term solution."
Last month the Ham&High reported that a similar scheme had been put forward for Hampstead to deal with traffic chaos caused by the school run.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 3 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 8 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
A TfL spokesman said: "We are always happy to consider new bus routes and we would be happy again to hear their proposals.
"But it is still in the early stages.