End to school chaos in Camden
SPECIAL pupil-only buses could be rolled out to tackle transport chaos outside three Camden secondary schools. Residents and transport users around Highgate Road have long complained about problems because of the thousands of school children who spill ont
SPECIAL pupil-only buses could be rolled out to tackle transport chaos outside three Camden secondary schools.
Residents and transport users around Highgate Road have long complained about problems because of the thousands of school children who spill onto the streets each afternoon.
Highgate Safer Neighbourhoods police team and its citizens' panel have been working with the headteachers of the three schools - William Ellis, La Sainte Union and Parliament Hill - to find a solution. Sgt Jeff Williams is hoping TfL will provide the remedy by providing school buses at peak times.
"I would like to see residents and normal commuters being able to use the buses without being intimidated by the kids," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"It is very early days at the moment but I am trying to find a long-term solution."
Last month the Ham&High reported that a similar scheme had been put forward for Hampstead to deal with traffic chaos caused by the school run.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
A TfL spokesman said: "We are always happy to consider new bus routes and we would be happy again to hear their proposals.
"But it is still in the early stages.