Eminent lawyer and supporter of Hamptead Theatre dies in motorway crash
- Credit: Archant
A passionate supporter of Hampstead Theatre has died in a motorway crash.
Eminent lawyer Michael Prior, of Church Row, Hampstead, is believed to have had a heart attack in his Range Rover as he was driving back from his son’s home in Leicestershire on Sunday, March 3.
The car smashed into a barrier on the hard shoulder before leaving the road and hitting trees.
Mr Prior, 74, was pronounced dead at the scene and an inquest was opened and adjourned at Hertfordshire Coroner’s Court.
His son, Daniel Prior, 27, said: “He loved the theatre, but also he was a huge lover of sport, literature and history.
You may also want to watch:
“So many people came up to me at the funeral on Tuesday saying, ‘He could never just be a supporter, he always wanted to participate and be involved’.”
Mr Prior moved to Hampstead from Camden Town with wife Livia almost 30 years ago and quickly became involved in community life, later becoming chairman of the Church Row Association.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
The couple also became involved in the fight to secure a new home for Hampstead Theatre.
* For a full obituary, see next week’s Ham&High.