Eminent lawyer and supporter of Hamptead Theatre dies in motorway crash
- Credit: Archant
A passionate supporter of Hampstead Theatre has died in a motorway crash.
Eminent lawyer Michael Prior, of Church Row, Hampstead, is believed to have had a heart attack in his Range Rover as he was driving back from his son’s home in Leicestershire on Sunday, March 3.
The car smashed into a barrier on the hard shoulder before leaving the road and hitting trees.
Mr Prior, 74, was pronounced dead at the scene and an inquest was opened and adjourned at Hertfordshire Coroner’s Court.
His son, Daniel Prior, 27, said: “He loved the theatre, but also he was a huge lover of sport, literature and history.
You may also want to watch:
“So many people came up to me at the funeral on Tuesday saying, ‘He could never just be a supporter, he always wanted to participate and be involved’.”
Mr Prior moved to Hampstead from Camden Town with wife Livia almost 30 years ago and quickly became involved in community life, later becoming chairman of the Church Row Association.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 4 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 5 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 6 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 7 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 8 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 9 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 10 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
The couple also became involved in the fight to secure a new home for Hampstead Theatre.
* For a full obituary, see next week’s Ham&High.