Eminent lawyer and supporter of Hamptead Theatre dies in motorway crash
- Credit: Archant
A passionate supporter of Hampstead Theatre has died in a motorway crash.
Eminent lawyer Michael Prior, of Church Row, Hampstead, is believed to have had a heart attack in his Range Rover as he was driving back from his son’s home in Leicestershire on Sunday, March 3.
The car smashed into a barrier on the hard shoulder before leaving the road and hitting trees.
Mr Prior, 74, was pronounced dead at the scene and an inquest was opened and adjourned at Hertfordshire Coroner’s Court.
His son, Daniel Prior, 27, said: “He loved the theatre, but also he was a huge lover of sport, literature and history.
You may also want to watch:
“So many people came up to me at the funeral on Tuesday saying, ‘He could never just be a supporter, he always wanted to participate and be involved’.”
Mr Prior moved to Hampstead from Camden Town with wife Livia almost 30 years ago and quickly became involved in community life, later becoming chairman of the Church Row Association.
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
The couple also became involved in the fight to secure a new home for Hampstead Theatre.
* For a full obituary, see next week’s Ham&High.