Election results: Lib Dems decimated in Camden as Labour romp to victory
- Credit: Archant
Labour increased their majority on Camden Council by 10 seats and virtually wiped out the Liberal Democrats in the borough in a blistering local election victory this evening.
The Lib Dems had their 13 seats on the council reduced to just one and lost their leader Keith Moffitt, a former council leader who has served as a councillor since 1994.
Meanwhile Labour increased their seats tally from 30 to 40, ousting six Liberal Democrat councillors in West Hampstead and Haverstock and stealing sole Lib Dem seats in Camden Town with Primrose Hill and Cantelowes.
In Fortune Green, Lib Dem councillor Flick Rea – the longest-serving councillor in Camden with 28 years in office – clung on to her seat but lost her two Lib Dem colleagues in the ward to Labour.
In Highgate, Green Party candidate Sian Berry halted Labour’s charge for a unanimous victory by defending the seat vacated by Maya De Souza.
You may also want to watch:
It was the only seat won by the Greens, despite their aim of winning all three seats in Highgate.
Camden Conservatives increased their number of seats from 10 to 12, retaining all their current seats and picking off single Lib Dem seats in Belsize and Hampstead Town to claim total Tory control in both wards.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey