Elderly woman hit by 12 tonne truck in Finchley Road
- Credit: Archant
An elderly woman has sustained serious injuries after being hit by a 12 tonne truck in Finchley Road.
The woman - thought to be in her 70s - is being treated by paramedics in the middle of the road (northbound) close to the Waitrose store.
Witnesses described seeing her leg and arm “run over” by the heavy goods vehicle at about 12:40pm today.
One witness, a teacher, said: “I think she thought the truck had stopped so tried to cross the road but it drove off again.
“She just walked in front of it and the lorry ran over her leg and arm.
“The truck wasn’t going fast but it looked very serious.”
The driver of the truck, who did not want to be named, said: “I’m shaking life a leaf.
- 2 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 5 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
“I didn’t see her - she was in my blind spot.
“Next thing I know someone’s banging on the side of the truck.
“I just hope she’s okay. She seems to be talking and conscious.”
The road (northbound) is currently closed to traffic..