Elderly woman has leg amputated after being hit by 12 tonne truck in Finchley Road
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
An elderly woman hit by a 12 tonne truck in Finchley Road last week has had her leg amputated, the police say.
The 79-year-old suffered serious injuries after a lorry ran over her right leg and arms at the junction of Finchley Road and Fairfax Road on Thursday.
It was said to have happened while she was crossing the road.
One witness, a teacher, said: “I think she thought the truck had stopped so tried to cross the road but it drove off again.
“She just walked in front of it and the lorry ran over her leg and arm.
You may also want to watch:
“The truck wasn’t going fast but it looked very serious.”
Speaking just after the incident, the driver of the truck said: “I’m shaking life a leaf.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 4 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 9 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
“I didn’t see her - she was in my blind spot.
“Next thing I know someone’s banging on the side of the truck.
“I just hope she’s okay. She seems to be talking and conscious.”
The elderly woman is said to be in a stable condition.
It comes after a fortnight of numerous accidents along Finchley Road and around the Swiss Cottage junction area.
A woman suffered serious injuries after being hit by a car outside Swiss Cottage tube the previous week and a cyclist smashed through a car window after also being involved in a collision with a car a few days later.
His condition was not thought to be life-threatening.