Elderly woman found dead after a fire at her Kentish Town home
- Credit: sub
An elderly woman was found dead after a fire at her flat in Kentish Town.
Firefighters and three ambulances were called to the blaze at a ground floor flat in Countess Street just after 2pm on Thursday.
The flat was badly damaged and the woman was found dead at the scene.
Neighbour Christopher Galae, of Countess Road, said: “The brigade came really well prepared, with an ambulance and everything.
“I said to them that she lived there and that she’s not very well, so they got the door off and went it. They didn’t let anyone else get near though.”
He said the woman who died had not been in good health.
“I must say she was very, very ill,” said Mr Galae. “I used to pop by to say hello and I saw her only on Monday.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 3 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 4 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 7 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 8 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 9 Hornsey Exchange opening first step in bringing town hall 'back to life'
- 10 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
“She was a lovely lady, but she kept to herself. She was a nice friend, she was very independent, she liked to do everything herself.
“She was very lonely, very nice, but very lonely. I didn’t even know her surname.”
Crews from Kentish Town and Holloway fire stations had the fire under control by 2.40pm.
The cause is being investigated.
An inquest into the woman’s death is due to be opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court tomorrow.