Elderly woman found dead after a fire at her Kentish Town home
- Credit: sub
An elderly woman was found dead after a fire at her flat in Kentish Town.
Firefighters and three ambulances were called to the blaze at a ground floor flat in Countess Street just after 2pm on Thursday.
The flat was badly damaged and the woman was found dead at the scene.
Neighbour Christopher Galae, of Countess Road, said: “The brigade came really well prepared, with an ambulance and everything.
“I said to them that she lived there and that she’s not very well, so they got the door off and went it. They didn’t let anyone else get near though.”
You may also want to watch:
He said the woman who died had not been in good health.
“I must say she was very, very ill,” said Mr Galae. “I used to pop by to say hello and I saw her only on Monday.
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 4 Highgate's Well Pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster vaccines with flu jabs
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 7 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 8 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 9 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 10 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
“She was a lovely lady, but she kept to herself. She was a nice friend, she was very independent, she liked to do everything herself.
“She was very lonely, very nice, but very lonely. I didn’t even know her surname.”
Crews from Kentish Town and Holloway fire stations had the fire under control by 2.40pm.
The cause is being investigated.
An inquest into the woman’s death is due to be opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court tomorrow.