Westminster Adult Education Service confirms Lisson Grove move
Westminster Council has confirmed it is to move the threatened Westminster Adult Education Service (WAES) to a new home in Lisson Grove next year.
Last month, the Wood&Vale reported plans to move the service from its current Maida Vale home in Amberley Road to the council’s Lisson Grove building – a relocation which has now been confirmed.
The centre’s future had been under threat since the Amberley Road site was earmarked for the new ARK Atwood Primary Academy free school from 2014.
The search for a replacement WAES building had been unsuccessful for more than a year and almost 700 people signed a petition calling for the council not to relocate the service from the Amberley Road site.
Chairman of WAES governors Neil Grimston said: “Resolving the property issue is a priority for WAES, which is one of the largest providers of adult education in London.
“Adult education is key at a time when many in work and seeking work need to improve on skills, further training and qualifications.
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 4 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 5 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 6 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 7 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 8 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 9 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 10 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
“Having the right accommodation is a necessary part of ensuring WAES can fulfil that role.”
The council says that the Lisson Grove building will be fitted out “for all educational needs” and ensures WAES will “remain within easy reach of residents”.
While the main site will move to Lisson Grove, smaller satellite sites will be located at Amberley Road and Ebury Street in Victoria.
The move will take place next July and the service will be fully operational at Lisson Grove by September 2012. WAES will have use of the Lisson Grove site for a minimum of 10 years.